Sunday, May 24, 2009

Garden Time!!






We have been busy trying to get our garden ready here in the Idaho desert. Because of the dry, no nutrient ground, we had to clear the desert floor, build boxes and bring in good top soil. Now we just need to haul in some manure and mix it all in. In my mind I never envisioned this being such a project..... what's new right? We have jack rabbits and lots of other critters out here and so we also need to build a fence around the whole thing. I am a bit picky when it comes to lawn and garden stuff, I decided if we are going to do it, I will spend the time to do it somewhat organized and hopefully keep it clean and neat. Thank goodness for lots of kiddies!! We may need to have a couple more!! :) Cross your fingers we can get the stuff to grow! For Mothers Day we also planted a row of Burning Bush shrubs for my mom- to border the drive way- from the desert. My kids helped haul and plant all 55 of them. During the planting, my dad's dog Chloe, stole Kaden's tootsie pot, found shade under the wheelbarrow, and chewed and licked the whole thing! It was really funny. I have never seen a dog hold a sucker like that.

3 comments:

grandmamyrt said...

Wow!!!! Mom (grandma) can't wait to see what you plant for her. Adam used to say (not pronouncing his r's) come on Gwampa, let plant some corwn!!! Plant some of that for us!!! Love ya David and Leah

Christen said...

Wow, Jenny I'm impressed! It looks great! Good luck with all of it! Just to brag a bit about my own garden. Today I am harvesting lettuce and spinach and just made the most beautiful mixed greens salad! Yumm Yumm

briggsy said...

What a good project to involve your kids & teach them the value of work & helping. When everything is grown, they will have a sense of pride since they helped make it so nice. I would love to have so much space for a garden - we have NO yard :(! I can't wait to see what it looks like in a few years1